EUMOFA Monthly Highlights No. 4/2022 is online
This month’s issue analyses first sales of common shrimp (France, Netherlands, Spain) and red and blue shrimp (Spain, Italy, Portugal). The case studies of this month are: “Fisheries and aquaculture in Bangladesh”; “COVID-19 impact on farmed species”.
FIRST SALES IN EUROPE. In January 2022, compared to January 2021, first-sales value and volume of fisheries and aquaculture products increased in Bulgaria, France, the Netherlands, Portugal, and Sweden. The most recent weekly (up to week 17 of 2022) and monthly (February 2022) data for first sales in Europe can be accessed on the EUMOFA website.
FIRST SALES OF COMMON SHRIMP AND RED AND BLUE SHRIMP. From February 2019 to January 2022, the weighted average first-sales price of common shrimp in France was 10,98 EUR/kg, which was 239% higher than in the Netherlands (3,24 EUR/kg) and 55% higher than in Spain (7,08 EUR/kg). In the same period, the weighted average first-sales price of blue and red shrimp in Spain (37,61 EUR/kg) was 132% higher than that in Italy (16,24 EUR/kg), and 26% over that in Portugal (29,78 EUR/kg).
EXTRA-EU IMPORTS. In 2022, both price and volume of frozen cuttlefish, with or without shell, from Morocco have exhibited an upward trend. Price ranged from 4,58 to 5,18 EUR/kg and weekly supply from 224 to 804 tonnes.
CONSUMPTION. Over the past three years (February 2019 – January 2022), monthly average Spanish household consumption of salmon was 5.273 tonnes, more than two times higher than average household consumption in Germany and France. The most recent weekly consumption data (up to week 17 of 2022) can be accessed on the EUMOFA website.
FISHERIES AND AQUACULTURE IN BANGLADESH. In 2021, EU imports from Bangladesh amounted to 21.592 tonnes for a value of EUR 190 million. Frozen products accounted for 97% of total imports in value terms. The rest was prepared/preserved products (3%). Shrimp products dominated EU imports (97% of total value).
COVID-19 IMPACT ON FARMED SPECIES. 2020 saw lower exports and imports of caviar. The sharpest decline in trade was seen at the initial impact of the pandemic, during March and April of 2020, partly due to logistical problems and decline in demand.
GLOBAL HIGHLIGHTS. In March 2022, the European Commission presented a range of short-term and medium-term actions to enhance global food security, and to support farmers and consumers in the EU in light of rising food prices and input costs.
MACROECONOMIC CONTEXT. Average prices for marine fuel in April 2022 ranged between 0,95 and 0,99 EUR/litre in ports in France, Italy, Spain, and the UK. Prices increased by an average of 4% compared with the previous month and 128% compared with the same month in 2021.